Not so shiny new MZ

hlide

Re: Not so shiny new MZ

Post by hlide »

Indeed, if you need to 3D-print the missing key, it would be better to do for the 5 ones to keep some homogeneity.
TextAdventureKing

Post by TextAdventureKing »

Wow! The state of that thing is what I image my MZ80K was before my grandad sent it to me.
Sharp MZ Developer, Global Moderator and lover of this tiny MZ-80K.
Projects:
  • MZ-80K Text Adventure Game
  • MZ-80K Quiz Game with multiple "quiz packs"
  • DSi Homebrew (not related to Sharp, this is nintendo)
TextAdventureKing

My 711 Smells of Magic Smoke after the PSU smoked. I seen Magic Smoke come out of the speaker and I quickly turned it off after freaking out for around 3 seconds. I think it was the X2 capacitor, which is the most common failure of MZ700 PSUs.
Projects:
TextAdventureKing

Can you show us a picture of the MZ Jo? I'm interested in how it is going after this time.
Projects:
UncleBod

Post by UncleBod »

Jo Even wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:33 pm Btw it has a Swedish character ROM. I guess I should dump it, could not find it on sharpmz.org.
Interesting...
I had one with Swedish ROM. I suppose I should try to get that machine back again...
There is a bug in the original Swedish Rom, IIRC. I remember I made a special version myself at least.

/UnceleBod
Jo Even
Site Admin

Post by Jo Even »

TextAdventureKing wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:06 pm Can you show us a picture of the MZ Jo? I'm interested in how it is going after this time.
It looks exactly the same today. I have not had time to do anything else than playing a bit of Star Avenger on it since I got it.
UncleBod wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:02 pm There is a bug in the original Swedish Rom, IIRC. I remember I made a special version myself at least.
Do you remember any details about this bug?
UncleBod

Post by UncleBod »

I think it was two of the Swedish letters that swapped place. Long time since I had the computer at hand now.
The CG rom might also be special. The high part (the one that wasn't very well documented in the manual) had other characters in the Swedish version.
Large letters made for the Swedish Teletext system.

I noticed now on the first picture that the nice round labels with Swedish letters still are on the keyboard.

/UncleBod
TextAdventureKing

Jo Even wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:19 pm
TextAdventureKing wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:06 pm Can you show us a picture of the MZ Jo? I'm interested in how it is going after this time.
It looks exactly the same today. I have not had time to do anything else than playing a bit of Star Avenger on it since I got it.
OK! Hope you can get it looking like a factory 731 soon!
Even my MZ-80K isn't perfect. It has some cosmetic wear I couldn't get rid of even with my absolute favourite cleaning tool, baby wipes. You don't want to know how much gunk was in between my 711's keys when my grandad gave it to me. My dad said when the 80K came it was actually yellow! It was yellow! Don't worry no that we've cleaned it up, it functions normally, only had to use magnetic head cleaner once.
Projects:
Jo Even
Site Admin

Post by Jo Even »

UncleBod wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:46 pm I think it was two of the Swedish letters that swapped place. Long time since I had the computer at hand now.
The CG rom might also be special. The high part (the one that wasn't very well documented in the manual) had other characters in the Swedish version.
Large letters made for the Swedish Teletext system.
Interesting :) I will have to check this. Unfortunately it has seen very little use due to the strong smell of Magic Smoke from the PSU. I have to get a modern replacement before I can use it.
UncleBod wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:46 pmI noticed now on the first picture that the nice round labels with Swedish letters still are on the keyboard.
They are still there. I was thinking of replacing those with Norwegian letters and patch the character ROM, but ATM I'm occupied with Atari and Spectravideo stuff so it will have to wait.
Jo Even
Site Admin

Post by Jo Even »

TextAdventureKing wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:49 amOK! Hope you can get it looking like a factory 731 soon!
It looks very good after cleaning, see picture on page 1 in this thread. Apart from the missing F-key it looks almost like new, just a little bit of yellowing.