MZ-80b FI/O to HxC Cable

arnuphis

Re: MZ-80b FI/O to HxC Cable

Post by arnuphis »

that config doesn't work. Floppy activity light stays on the gotek. I assume the left numbers are the IDE end and the right ones are the D sub end.

my IDE pinout i looked up has pin 2 as density select, 4 and 6 as not connected, 8 is index, 10 is motor enable, 12 and 14 are drive selectors, and 22 is write data etc. completely different to that pin out you linked to.

Appreciate all the help. So how do I get an actual dsk image of the disk basic? Can that mzf be converted to .dsk format?

Here are the pinouts from what I looked up on the FI/O card and standard 34 pin IDE Floppy

IDE PIN NAME MZ-80 PIN
2 Density Select ? (not available I assume)
4 n/c
6 n/c
8 /INDEX 4
10 /MOTEA 8 (Motor on)
12 /DRVSB 6 (DS1)
14 /DRVSBA 5 (DS0)
16 /MOTEB n/a (assume is motor control for second floppy)
18 /DIR 9 (DIR IN)
20 /STEP 10 (STEP)
22 /WDATE 11(WRITE D)
24 /WGATE 12(WRITE GATE)
26 /TRK00 13(TRK 00)
28 /WPT 14 (WPRT)
30 /RDATA 15(READ DATA)
32 /SIDE1 16(SIDE SELECT)
34 /DSKCHG ? not sure where to send the disk change/ready signal.

With this set up the Sharp seeks on the gotek (green light comes on when I make ready Floppy and choose drive) but nothing further happens. Not sure if the missing ready signal is needed or the hfe image is compatible. Wish I had a working HFE image to rule that out.
Last edited by arnuphis on Sat May 15, 2021 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psmart

Post by psmart »

A bit confusing as you look up 34pin IDC on the web and it gives various pin layouts, the one I found and mapped to was linear, ie. 1-17 on top row, 18-34 below.

Looking up Shugart, you get the more general even numbers on top (bottom having the locator tab) and odd numbers at the bottom, ie: http://marcosim.homepc.it:8080/sites/Ma ... Pinout.pdf

So re-jigging the table you get the following:
Screenshot 2021-05-15 at 23.30.32.png
Screenshot 2021-05-15 at 23.30.32.png (79.63 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
Basically 2nd column to 4th column mapping of note:
Pin 2 IDC - /DCD not connected
Pin 4 IDC - /DS3 not connected
Pin 6 IDC - /INUSE not connected
Pin 8 IDC - /INDEX goes to Pin 4 37pin D-SUB - /INDEX
Pin 10 IDC - /DS0 goes to Pin 8 37pin D-SUB - /MOTOR ON
Pin 12 IDC - /DS1 goes to Pin 6 37 pin D-SUB - /DS1
Pin 14 IDC - /DS2 goes to Pin 5 37 pin D-SUB - /DS0
Pin 16 IDC - /MTRON not connected.
Pin 18 - /DIR goes to Pin 9 - /DIR IN
Pin 20 - /STEP goes to Pin 10 - /STEP
Pin 22 - /WDATA goes to Pin 11 - /WRTE DATA
Pin 24 - /WGATE goes to Pin 12 - /WRITE GATE
Pin 26 - /TRK00 goes to Pin 13 - /TRK00
Pin 28 - /WPT goes to Pin 14 - /WPRT
Pin 30 - /RDATA goes to Pin 15 - /READ DATA
Pin 32 - /SIDE1 goes to Pin 16 - /SIDE SELECT
Pin 34 - /RDY not connected.

Not sure where I got this layout but it works fine with the Lotharek HxC. Like yourself I was stabbing around for connections back then as a typical 1-1 mapping didnt work!

For the disks, I'll make a tarball and PM you a link tomorrow or alternatively go to https://original.sharpmz.org/ -> Download -> MZ-80B -> Operating Systems and right at the bottom is a Disk archive containing a lot of MZ-80B disks.
Sharp MZ/X Series Projects and FPGA Emulator
engineers@work : https://eaw.app/sharpmz-series/
arnuphis

Post by arnuphis »

Thanks again. Looks like your findings match mine. Hopefully my continued issue is down to the image itself since we are of one mind on the wiring.

Thank you for sending me some disk images.

I did download that zip with all the cp/m and other images. Batch converted them and tried a few of the bootable ones but no luck. The Sharp seeks the drive and that's it.

apart from the HXCSDFE.cfg file am I supposed to put anything else on the usb stick apart from the images? The instructions at HxC never mentioned it.
psmart

Post by psmart »

I've sent the link but it seems to be stuck in the outbox again! Perhaps PM's are disabled on this board! Hopefully it will be sent!

In the zipfile, the DSK subdirectory, some of the DSK images you will already have. I've had no issue with HxC2000 batch converting them to an SD card using HFE format output and reading them on the HxC. The config file, I just used the GUI to create the default (pressed save) as it was setup for Shugart already. Perhaps the Gotek behaves differently to the HxC, not sure as Ive never used one.

One thing I just realised (Eureka moment!) is that I've never tried the Sharp AFI card in the MZ-80B as it belongs to my MZ-80A. On the MZ-80B I've used the K&P SFD800 board which is 34pin IDC to 34pin IDC on the HxC, pin for pin with no cable twist.

I'm considering duplicating the SFD800 as I will need a card for the MZ-800/80B (I share 1 between) and for my MZ-2000, already desoldered the PAL just looking at setting up a probe, all depends on wether Alex-Dat finishes his board and makes it available.
hlide

Post by hlide »

@psmart, two possibilities:

- the person didn't read your PM. It only moves in "sent PMs" when the reader accesses the forum or reads it (not sure which)
- the quota in "sent PMs" is full.

That's why I prefer to PM with email when indicated.
arnuphis

Post by arnuphis »

Thanks! I got the link. Will try it later today. I also reached out on the HxC forum to see if there is something I am missing on the Gotek as the Sharp is accessing the Gotek but just not getting any further. My Lotharek HxC cannot get here soon enough!
psmart

Post by psmart »

@hlide. - thank-you, good to know how it works.

Could well be a slight signal difference on the Gotek, the MZ-80A wiring above uses the /MOTORON as the drive /DS0 so the motor automatically starts on activation of /DS0, but interestingly enough when it accesses /DS1 it still works! What you need is a breakout box and then just try the various combinations of signals and also the Gotek settings. As mentioned, in hindsight, the SFD800 controller is 1-1 and it works on the MZ-800 (as Ive been using it very recently) and the MZ-80B when I last used it. Seems until the PC came along the Floppy Interface wasn't that consistent a standard!!
arnuphis

Post by arnuphis »

Thanks for all the help. Its very frustrating and really shouldn't be this difficult. I've had success with all kinds of other retro machines but this one is proving to be a royal PITA. I am sure it's something simple but I'm just not seeing it.

I am sure the SFD800 is amazing but I don't have one or an means to get one so I am working with the original card that was made for this machine. I know I cannot be the first/only person to do this so any help is welcome.
psmart

Post by psmart »

There are a few anomalies for sure with the Sharp FD boards. I've just finished duplicating the SFD800 and ordered up the PCB's, during some board layout checks I discovered that the 34pin IDC on the SFD800 card is reversed, pin 34 is where pin 1 should be, this explains why I have to reverse the connector going into the HxC!! Either this was a K&P production error or another difference in the FD implementation at the time!

The replicated SFD800 boards:
SFD800_TS.png
SFD800_BS.png
arnuphis

Post by arnuphis »

oh put me down for one of those. I assume all the ICs are still available?