MZ-80B software

alo2004

MZ-80B software

Post by alo2004 »

Hello,
I hope this forum is still alive, due to the age of our venerable machines... :-)
I'm searching for software for sharp MZ-80B, especially Language tape such as pascal or assembler pack, but games are also welcome! :-)
Doe anybody have some wav files to share about that?
Have a good time everybody with your old computer!
mz-80a

Re: MZ-80B software

Post by mz-80a »

It feels like this is one of the least well documented and preserved of all the MZ-80 machines. I never see any software. You can get the games from Yahoo auctions in Japan though.
MZ-80A Secrets
https://mz-80a.com/

Sharpworks (Sharp MZ homebrew)
https: //mz-sharpworks.co.uk/
UncleBod

Post by UncleBod »

The MZ80 B is also the least MZ80 in the group.
arnuphis

Post by arnuphis »

UncleBod wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:08 am The MZ80 B is also the least MZ80 in the group.
Can you expand on this? I have a working MZ-80b on the way and would love to know more. Always wanted one as it's (in my opinion) the most beautiful all in one classic computer ever made.
alo2004

Post by alo2004 »

I agree with arnuphis, for me it is the most beautiful one, even comparing to actual standards, the design is simply amazing.
I already have made an interface card with a teensyduino 4.1 to allow access to usb, sd card, flash memory. It's already communicating
properly, but i need some more documentation and tools to reverse engineer the way the disc is accessed. I already made the emulation of the
floppy disc controller chip, but without a copy of the assembler, disassembler, linker, and other tools, it's difficult to debug and progress.
But generally, i search any software that could run on it...
The card i am designing will also fit normally 800, and 2000 models
hlide

Post by hlide »

You don't understand. He probably means as it's not from series K, B softwares are very hard to find out in comparison K softwares.
mz-80a

Post by mz-80a »

The most beautiful 80 is the 80A, quite obviously :D The 'B' is too clunky and square looking, IMO
MZ-80A Secrets
https://mz-80a.com/

Sharpworks (Sharp MZ homebrew)
https: //mz-sharpworks.co.uk/
UncleBod

Post by UncleBod »

The MZ-80B was a sidestep from the serie. MZ-80K, MZ-80A and MZ-700 are in many parts compatible to each others. Programs written for MZ-80K will run on the other computers in many cases. I have run MZ-80K assembler/editor/linker written for MZ-80K (The Sharp official version) on a MZ-700.
For that to run on a MZ-80B you probably need to write your own Monitor program. Even then the memory map differs very much.
And, if I remember correctly, the tape speed is 1400 baud on MZ80B, in contrast to 1200 baud on the other MZ80 computers and the MZ-700.

The MZ80B was a nice try to get into the commercial bracket. I think it is the first Sharp computer that could run CP/M without non standard expansions. And CP/M was the thing in those days.
hlide

Post by hlide »

I think the hardware of MZ-80 B is even cleaner than MZ-80 K's: no custom IC, pretty clear schematics. I/O devices are handled through I/O ports. MZ-2500 is certainly the best of all. Its hardware is quite outstanding.
UncleBod

Post by UncleBod »

Considering what I remember of the flyers that were made back in the days ( I worked at the Swedish distributor of Sharp equipment in Sweden between semesters while in school once) the MZ-80B looked to be much more directed to the business segment than the home segment. Since the computer was released in april 1980, CP/M was probably the most used operating system for business in common use (MS-DOS was released August 1981).
I suspect that the lack of software (except the CP/M boot disk that you see on E-bay now and then) is partly the business and CP/M connection. You were supposed to get CP/M running on it and use all that you could get that way.
Also, the entry points in the IPL ROM in MZ-80B differs from the entry points in the MZ-80K ROM, so programs can't run directly, even if they are nicely written.
The MZ-80B is my favourite in the line up, but I never got my hands on one. When I had enough money to buy my own computer the MZ-700 was just released, and the rest is history.