MZ-700 tape not loading software

traindriver69

MZ-700 tape not loading software

Post by traindriver69 »

Hi all
I recently brought a MZ-700 which was not working I replaced the paper capacitor inthe power supply and it booted into life I had a few tapes with it but nothing would load.
I then tried using an external tape deck but still would not load but I then discovered that if you use an external tape deck you need to remove the sharp tape deck and put a jumper across the connection someone posted on here about it but I misread the diagram and connected the external read point to the 5v tape point which I know was a stupid thing to do does anyone think this will have caused damage to any components as it still wont load with the jumper on the correct points.
many thanks in advance
hlide

Re: MZ-700 tape not loading software

Post by hlide »

Putting 5V at READ signal shouldn't be so harmful - the chip will read a high signal, not much.
TextAdventureKing

Re: MZ-700 tape not loading software

Post by TextAdventureKing »

Might be a problem with the tape drive. If you have the know-how you can probably find a replacement and put it in yourself. AFAIK my MZ-711 has a perfect tape drive even though it was given to me with an MZ-80K after both sitting in a flat for about 30 years (the MZ-80K was disgusting like literally disgusting) :roll:
Sharp MZ Developer, Global Moderator and lover of this tiny MZ-80K.
Projects:
  • MZ-80K Text Adventure Game
  • MZ-80K Quiz Game with multiple "quiz packs"
  • DSi Homebrew (not related to Sharp, this is nintendo)