MZ80K keytops

Gary C

MZ80K keytops

Post by Gary C »

Hi

My MZ-80K came with some stickers under the keycaps to represent a numeric keypad. I have removed them and run into an odd problem. The original owner obviously converted more than one machine as now I have two keycaps with identical symbols.

What I need is a high quality photo of the missing cap so I can print one out to replace it.

The one I am missing is the one with the horizontal half white bar top and bottom with the right symbol a very shallow curve starting from the bottom left of the box, rising to just over a third (certainly under a half) of the way up on the right

Or middle column, second row up.

If some kind soul could take a snap and post it ?, surprisingly I can't find a good one on line.
hlide

Re: MZ80K keytops

Post by hlide »

Just one wild suggestion.

You have two keys (one on the left of your "missing" key, the other on the right) which have the symbols you need if you could:

1) scan the label of those keys with a high DPI
2) open an editor and load the image
3) select the square with curved and apply "FLIP HORIZONTAL" operation
4) select the square with left half-block of the second label and apply "ROTATE 90° CLOCKWISE" to turn it into top half-block and paste in the first label
5) select the square with right half-block of the second label and apply "ROTATE 90° CLOCKWISE" to turn it into bottom half-block and paste in the first label
6) the first label should like as the missing label, just print it with the same DPI.

I don't know whether it is difficult to do so (good orientation when scanning) or to have good color though.
hlide

Post by hlide »

mz80kkbd.png
mz80kkbd.png (930.19 KiB) Viewed 4777 times
Gary C

Post by Gary C »

what a good idea !
jp80k

Post by jp80k »

Hi,

I am in similar issue with the MZ-80K that I got few weeks ago.
I repaired the floppy supply, floppy, keys, box ... I have been succeed to read and boot almost all my old diskettes.
I stored them safely during that last 41 years !

But my Sharp may have been used with a specific program and the right blue keys and numbers have been overwritten with some functions stickers.
Unfortunately, the original marking isn't recoverable.

I am interested to get a full picture good enough with high resolution to rebuild my keyboard by a laser reprint to avoid to redraw them.

Please could someone post a good square vertical picture ?
hlide

Post by hlide »

You mean the stickers were not over the plastic but under? I had once tried to find but the only one I could find was Japanese.
jp80k

Post by jp80k »

Yes, they are stick under the covers.
Finally, I redraw in word a set of numbers for the top row and I keep the right side black