Not so shiny new MZ

TextAdventureKing

Re: Not so shiny new MZ

Post by TextAdventureKing »

Jo Even wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:12 am It looks very good after cleaning, see picture on page 1 in this thread. Apart from the missing F-key it looks almost like new, just a little bit of yellowing.
I Have no idea whether the MZ-700 is a metal case or plastic but if it's plastic then you can leave it out in the sun in some peroxide water (retro-brighting) and hopefully it dosen't streak and it turns white although I haven't seen anyone retro-bright a 700.
Sharp MZ Developer, Global Moderator and lover of this tiny MZ-80K.
Projects:
  • MZ-80K Text Adventure Game
  • MZ-80K Quiz Game with multiple "quiz packs"
  • DSi Homebrew (not related to Sharp, this is nintendo)
UncleBod

Post by UncleBod »

IIRC my MZ-700 was what you call off white. I remember it having a slight yellowish touch in the case.
/UncleBod
Want my MZ-700 back...
Jo Even
Site Admin

Post by Jo Even »

TextAdventureKing wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:14 pm I Have no idea whether the MZ-700 is a metal case or plastic but if it's plastic then you can leave it out in the sun in some peroxide water (retro-brighting) and hopefully it dosen't streak and it turns white although I haven't seen anyone retro-bright a 700.
Not a big fan of the peroxide treatment, I've seen too many failed attempts for that. Also, peroxide can make ABS more brittle, which is something I really don't want. I'll rather live with the slight yellowing, maybe the future will bring a better/safer treatment.
TextAdventureKing

Post by TextAdventureKing »

Jo Even wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:01 am Not a big fan of the peroxide treatment, I've seen too many failed attempts for that. Also, peroxide can make ABS more brittle, which is something I really don't want. I'll rather live with the slight yellowing, maybe the future will bring a better/safer treatment.
That makes sense. Not many people have been seen retro-briting MZ-700s if any so it's not safe unless a crazy person were to do it.
Sharp MZ Developer, Global Moderator and lover of this tiny MZ-80K.
Projects:
  • MZ-80K Text Adventure Game
  • MZ-80K Quiz Game with multiple "quiz packs"
  • DSi Homebrew (not related to Sharp, this is nintendo)
rel2009

Post by rel2009 »

I'm crazy and I have 4 MZ700s (although been trying to sell one) ... I've had Retr0brite gone wrong > http://retro-rick.djsho.co.uk/?p=26 < but I learned leaving them in the sun thinking that's how to speed up the process was a bad mistake. My earlier attempts were more successful > http://retro-rick.djsho.co.uk/?p=21 < the key is patients. Dont leave it in the sun for long periods or best still prepare to wait weeks under a UV lamp for best result.
Gory-Glory

Post by Gory-Glory »

Jo Even >>> Really nice that you bought a Sharp MZ-731 and it looks really great when you cleaned it up. :)

Have you found the one of the blue keys that is missing?
slaanesh

Post by slaanesh »

I have only recently acquired a Sharp MZ700 and mine is actually in very nice condition no yellowing.
I have retrobrited many items with just peroxide and sun - however my advantage is that I live in Australia! Plenty of UV light!
Working from home, I can reapply a fresh coat every 30 mins and rotate the piece 90° over the period of 6 hours or so and I find this is more than plenty to get a beautiful uniform finish.