a short self-introduction

Anything that does not belong in the above categories.
Chipmonk

a short self-introduction

Post by Chipmonk »

Hello to all users of this forum!

i am a newby in sharp computers, just bought a MZ80K Machine here in germany. So first: please excuse my bad english!

As i am electronics engineer and (probably one of the last ones) working on Z80 embedded controls even right now (end of lifetime support..), so hopefully i can get this machine working again.

Being 53years old now, i started with micros back in early 1983 when i bought a slightly used VIC-20 in some -at that time- famous radio shop
of my home-town Munich named Rim electronic.

This shop is gone now for over 30 years, but still is remembered by a lot of people in germany or even (western)-europe for developing and selling high-end analog electronics as kits and also prebuilt units.

At the time of writing this my biggest problem regarding the MZ80K is how to get it running with basic, as i did not receive any cassettes with software with it (but original packing!) So hopefully there are some digital audio files here to be able to make a matching cassette or to use some PCs soundcard directly as input.

I already digged into the download section, but there are so many files labeled "basic" even only for the MZ80K, so i would appreciate any detailed help!

For longer term i would like to get it running cp/m, so any hint on the schematics of the disc controller unit (expansion?) would also be very appreciated. I would then layout an disc controller to be able to connect one of my 5.25" shugart interfaced floppy drives to this machine.

I do not think that there is a real chance on buying such disc-controller separately, or is there maybe already some homebrewed "modern" version of it?

Any hints are welcome,

have a nice day!

Robert
hlide

Re: a short self-introduction

Post by hlide »

Welcome aboard! look for SP-5025. That's the basic which was delivered with the MZ-80 K. They are a lot of variants but that one is the original sold with MZ-80 K.
Chipmonk

Post by Chipmonk »

THX!

Inside the zip file there is a *.MZF file, how to treat that sort of files?

My system has only got a cassette drive so far, so i need a -wav file or maybe .mp3 file or something equal to start up from tape.

Or is there any helper tool to convert these .mzf files to audio output on PC side? ( i think for the opposite way there is a tool in the download section, which reads tapes (or live output) in on a PC for usage on an emulator.

Feel a bit lost at the moment...

Thanks for any help provided!
hlide

Post by hlide »

Go to viewtopic.php?f=17&t=483

MZF Studio: can convert MZF <-> WAV.

There are other ways but I guess it is the simpler method here.
mz-80a

Post by mz-80a »

Welcome to the world of MZ!

I might have a spare original SP-5025 tape if you'd like one (I will have to look to make sure though). However, there would certainly be customs costs at your end
MZ-80A Secrets
https://mz-80a.com/

Sharpworks (Sharp MZ homebrew)
https: //mz-sharpworks.co.uk/