MZ-700: is there an easy way to get a modern video output?

tingo

MZ-700: is there an easy way to get a modern video output?

Post by tingo »

Hello,
Is there an easy (for various values of "easy") way to get modern video output from a MZ-700 / MZ-721?
With "modern" video output I think of VGA or HDMI.
Any hints?
--
Torfinn
UncleBod

Re: MZ-700: is there an easy way to get a modern video output?

Post by UncleBod »

What about a composite video to HDMI converter?
It seems that the price is not to high, and no changes needed to be done to the computer.

/UncleBod
hlide

Post by hlide »

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/GBS ... -CONVERTER

You can see pins R, G, B, GND and S: you can connect then to the R, G, B, VIDEO and GND of MZ-700:
GBS-8200-RGBS-VGA-converter-input.JPG
GBS-8200-RGBS-VGA-converter-input.JPG (82.58 KiB) Viewed 12780 times
This card has several connectors you can use.

If you want HDMI, there is a way: SCART>HDMI but with a mod to do.

I made an English translation here but some pictures seems lost: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18.

EDIT: the images links to SCART>HDMI topic still work so you just need to click on it to open the image.
hlide

Post by hlide »

UncleBod wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:28 pm What about a composite video to HDMI converter?
It seems that the price is not to high, and no changes needed to be done to the computer.

/UncleBod
Not a good idea, composite is very ugly on a HDMI.
Gortho

Post by Gortho »

Another option would be probably standing in line for unicard from Martin. ( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=160 ) Though it might not be 'easy' or at least in any forseeable future, as it depends on many variables ;)

Edit: Ahh, you askes about mz700 then unicard might be a tiny bit more complicated. still a useable option with some tweaking.

Whee.. I am back after disk and controller failure... well kind of :D
tingo

Post by tingo »

Interesting about the "X to HDMI" converters. I have a component video (YPbPr) to HDMI converter, but I'm guessing it is not suitable because YPbPr is different from RGB. I looked inside, and there are no obvious places to connect RGB either.I'll have to look to see if I can find a suitable converter at a reasonable price on eBay or AliExpress.
--
Torfinn
tingo

Post by tingo »

OK, I got myself one of those SCART to HDMI converters. Now I just need to find SCART connectors (or a SCART cable that I can sacrifice) and the right DIN connector for the RGB out.
--
Torfinn
hlide

Post by hlide »

If by SCART > HDMI, you mean RGBS > SCART > HDMI, be aware you may need a mod.

On the SCART you have two pins #8 and #16.

- Pin #8 is said to select a 4/3 or wide format according to the voltage.But you can leave it not connected as a modern TV allow for you to force the 4/3 or wide output.

- Pin #16 is said to select RGBS or composite output according to the voltage. In fact, it is always composite but when setting appropriate voltage you can allow picture-in-picture using RGBS. However, most modern TVs have issue with this line if RGBS is not set permanently. I had the issue with an Atrai 520 STE because it uses HSYNC to feed pin #16 and with MZ-700 because pin #16 was not connected.

So it is important to find a way to connect the pin #16 with a voltage ranging 1V and 3V. I believe 2,5V is a good compromise because you can capture 5V and use voltage divide bridge with a resistor of same value for each branches and then feed 2.5V to pin #16.
hlide

Post by hlide »

Regarding SCART wire, I simply use an Amiga RGB SCART I had in tons - that could be a good start for testing.
IMG_20180203_134149 - Copie.jpg
Jo Even
Site Admin

Post by Jo Even »

hlide wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:29 pm https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/GBS ... -CONVERTER

You can see pins R, G, B, GND and S: you can connect then to the R, G, B, VIDEO and GND of MZ-700:

GBS-8200-RGBS-VGA-converter-input.JPG

This card has several connectors you can use.
I have tried this card with my MZ-700 but could not get it to produce a stable picture.